Leecy asked me a couple of weeks ago what Bird books I recommend for identifying Birds of Houston and the Gulf Coast.
There are two books that I think are really good for “finding” birds in Houston and the Gulf Coast.
- Finding Birds On The Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail (Ted Lee Eubanks, Jr.) – This is a wonderful book that lists all the location to find different birds. It also ranks each of the sites it references.
- Exploring The Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail (Mel White) – Although not as detailed as the book above, I still think it is a very good book.
I also have three books that I would recommend for identifying Birds of Texas.
- Birds of Texas Field Guide (Stan Tekiela) - This is a great little book that is small enough that you can carry it with you while you are out looking for birds. It also has color photographs of all the birds.
- Birds of Texas (Keith Arnold and Gregory Kennedy) – This book is also good. It’s a little larger than the book above, but still an excellent reference. It doesn’t have color photographs of the birds, but it does have color drawings.
- National Geographic Field Guide To Birds – Nice color photographs. I forgot I even had this book
That’s it, my bird book recommendations. I don’t think you could go wrong with choosing any of these books.